The new Stralis briefly
A heavy commercial vehicle is required to carry out a wide range of missions with very different characteristics according to the type of roads (city, suburban, short/medium/long distance), the transported goods (containers, foodstuffs and perishable goods in general, fuels and dangerous fluids, motorcars, building materials, etc…), fittings for special applications (controlled temperature transport, liquids, waste collection, etc…).
Stralis is a work tool thought to meet any kind of heavy transport need on wheels ranging from 19 to 44 tons.
The real innovation with Stralis is mainly the cabin, resulting from the work carried out with great determination, in collaboration with the dealers and customers who took part in the design, to improve its driving comfort and the life onboard.
The novelties can be noticed at first sight. The cabin outside offers wide space at the front to allow customization. The new big-sized radiator cowling integrates newly designed headlights. Wide side storage compartments are now present on both sides and with larger doors (60% more compared to the previous version). The completely redesigned bodysides ensure a Stralis cabin CX improved by 2% despite the larger inhabitable space (+1.8 cubic metres).
The cabin inside, equipped with better climate control system, has been improved in the quality of the stave beds, enlarged and fitted with aluminium access ladder. The folding table surface is now 30% larger compared to the previous version.
The Stralis range is wide and can meet the needs of different types of missions. There are thousands of possible solutions with a wide pitch selection for excellent vehicle adaptability; manual gearboxes, automated and automatic; rear axle ratios selected for an ideal trade-off between speed and hub pickup.
The range includes 3 engines (by 8, 10 and 13 litres), 3 cabins (Active Day, Active Time, Active Space3) and 3 heights (short roof, medium roof, and high roof).
The possible basic configurations are the following:
• traditional 4x2 tractors, in addition to which there are more specific versions: lowered (Low Tractor), with dual ratio axles (HR), with reinforced chassis for more demanding applications (RR);
• 6x2 tractors with turning central axle;
• traditional 4x2 trucks with mechanical and air suspension;
• 6x2 trucks having third axle with single or twin wheels, liftable, fixed or steering – or steering axle in central position, with rear or integral air suspension;
• 6x4 tractors and trucks.
All Stralis versions can be matched with several types of suspension – including the full bump air suspensions to adapt the vehicle to the height required by distribution missions or intermodal transport.
Stralis was designed to offer a low ownership cost to the customer given the reduction of the two main vehicle cost items – maintenance and consumption.
As to the reduction of maintenance costs, Stralis ensures:
• decrease of downtime with prolonged oil change intervals (150,000 Km);
• significant reduction of brake system wear thanks to engine brake manufactured by factory (Iveco Turbo Brake), discs on all wheels, EBL, EBS and ESP;
• high clutch life due to the engine flexibility and the efficiency of automated gearboxes, regardless of the driver’s ability;
• diagnostics onboard and in the body shop rapid and accurate;
• arrangements and optional devices designed as to reduce fitting time.
Consumptions are optimised through:
• excellence of Cursor Euro 5 engine, which can ensure fuel consumption below 2 to 5% compared to the already economic Euro 3 versions;
• combustion optimization through EDC (Electronic Diesel Control) of new generation, with time and fuel quantity managed for each cylinder;
• new single pump-injectors with pressure up to 2000 bar;
• new seal rings which ensure reduced oil consumption.
The new Stralis was designed to demonstrate Iveco fundamental values towards excellence:
Commitment – working with a sense of responsibility for the customer’s business; Reliability – keeping the promises of the product reliability, life and high safety standards; Performance – supporting the customer’s business with a vehicle which ensures higher productivity and lower running costs. In addition to these typical company values, Stralis defines a product value: Power – excellent engines for power and torque, which also ensure fuel economy, thus placing the product as a market leader.
Commitment, Reliability, Performance, Team Spirit and Power: the values that Stralis shares with the Neo Zealand rugby national team, the All Blacks, the team which in its history has won more than anyone else. To celebrate this value sharing, already sealed by Iveco becoming the All Blacks Official Global Sponsor, on the occasion of its launch the new Stralis was presented with its game dress – the unmistakable black coat with a fern leave and a reference to the tattoos through which the players stress their continuous link with their ancestors’ virtues and qualities.