IVECO finishes stage 10 of the Dakar 2018 with a double podium for the second time, with Ton Van Genugten and Federico Villagra finishing in first and second place, 11 minutes ahead of their immediate rival.
After a day without action, as stage 9 was cancelled because of the rain and flooded rivers, the Dakar caravan continued on its way from Salta to Belén, with 373 timed kilometers in a very tough special on tracks along dry riverbeds and dunes.
Ton Van Genugten achieved his second stage victory in the Dakar 2018, proving once again the power and reliability of his IVECO Powerstar. The Dutchman crossed the line just 33 seconds ahead of Federico Villagra.
Federico Villagra won his seventh podium placement in the nine stages of the Dakar 2018. He is in contention for the lead in the overall standings, where he managed to cut Eduard Nikolaev’s lead almost by half. The Argentinian driver is now second, 24m44s behind the Russian driver.
Artur Ardavichus finished sixth, 27m16s behind Ton Van Genugten and climbed to 6th position overall.
With only four stages ahead until the finish in Córdoba, the fight for the lead is still alive with 1,289 kilometers of competition remaining.
Stage 10 – Rally Dakar 2018
1. TON VAN GENUGTEN (IVECO) 5h31m49s
2. FEDERICO VILLAGRA (IVECO) +33s
3. Siarhei Viazovich (Maz) +11m09s
4. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) +22m14s
5. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +24m34s
6. ARTUR ARDAVICHUS (IVECO) + 27m16s
Overall Standings – Rally Dakar 2018
1. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) 34h09m09s
2. FEDERICO VILLAGRA (IVECO) +24m44s
3. Siarhei Viazovich (Maz) +3h48m30s
4. TON VAN GENUGTEN (IVECO) +4h08m54s
5. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +4h25m40s
6. ARTUR ARDAVICHUS (IVECO) + 5h33m18s